Humans love trees. They are stately symbols of enduring beauty, health, prosperity, and longevity. Because of this love affair between humans and trees, there is a long and world-wide tradition of people planting trees as a way to honor those they love, admire, or respect. Consequently, the West Lafayette Tree Friends offer the “Tribute Trees” program to the West Lafayette Community.The Tribute Trees program is a way for you to honor someone (or a group) by planting a tree to say we love you, we admire what you have done in your life, or we respect your accomplishments. Tribute trees can be used to honor many occasions such as retirements, significant accomplishments, the birth of a child, a wedding anniversary, the recognition of a beloved teacher, the celebration a long-time and meaningful friendship, or the passing of a loved one. The only limit to planting a tribute tree is your imagination. A tribute tree not only honors the person, it also honors your community by adding a new tree to our urban forest with all the benefits trees bring.
How it works
- Tribute trees will be planted as a street tree in a public right-of-way. A tribute tree’s location will depend on the desires of the donor and the availability of planting sites.
- Participants in this program are asked to donate $300.00 to the West Lafayette Tree Friends. These funds are used to cover the costs of helping you locate a site for your tree, helping you choose an appropriate tree, purchasing the tree, and getting your tree planted. After covering those costs, any remaining funds will be used by the Tree Friends to nurture and protect West Lafayette’s urban forest.
- You’ll work with the program coordinator to fashion a short commemorative inscription, e.g. “In gratitude for Paul Bunyan’s service, 1900-1940”. That will be inscribed on a leaf-shaped, engraved plaque and hung from a limb in your Tribute Tree. Click here to see examples of plaques and messages.
- A duplicate of this plaque will also be given to the donor, or to a person of your choosing, as a memento of the planting.
- Finally, all tribute trees automatically become part of the West Lafayette Tree Friends’ tree maintenance program. This means that the tree will receive scheduled care such as mulching and pruning.
Think you’d like a Tribute Tree?
First, please read the brief step-by-step guidelines for planting a West Lafayette Tree Friends’ tribute tree. It will explain in more detail how the process works. then, if interested or just have questions, contact the program coordinator, Steve Green, at email@example.com. He’ll do his best to provide you the help you need.
Think about it. Plant a tribute tree, honor someone, make our community a more beautiful and healthy place.